Author Topic: Gave FT8 a try  (Read 116 times)

kn6koo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gave FT8 a try
« on: April 28, 2021, 05:44:37 PM »
My goal is to try a lot of things you can do in Amateur Radio.  I've heard a lot about FT8 and digital radio so I added WSJT-X software to an old slow Dell laptop I own and found a printer cable to hook up my Yaesu FT991a.  After searching for the proper settings I finally got the combo going and gave it a try. 

What really got me was if you go to www.pskreporter.info and select "map display" in the text you see a map that shows all the activity on multiple bands using all kinds of "modes" including FT8.

From my first brief session on 20 meters @ 35 watts I found that my call sign and signal was captured as far away as New Zealand and Australia as well as all over the US and Canada.  There's a screen shot attached.  What you're seeing are all the reporting stations that identified my signal and call sign.

I think this was pretty cool with a home brew antenna in my backyard. I look forward to keep working at this.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 08:35:05 PM by kn6koo »

n6ywu

• View Profile
Re: Gave FT8 a try
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 12:29:01 PM »
I've occasionally transmitted an FT8 beacon at just 1W (30 dBm) using a 20M wire vertical antenna overlooking Crestmoor canyon.  Even at QRP levels, my signal occasionally gets spotted on pskreporter as far away as NY and HI.
Ron
n6ywu

kn6koo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Gave FT8 a try
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 09:29:33 AM »
Hi Ron,

I'll have to give that a try to see how far I can get at 1 watt.  I overlook the Crestmoor school site and have a fairly clear view North/NorthEast.

dave